Darryl's thoughts on the Christian Faith, Facts, and World Events
Aliens, Angels, Ghosts, and Demons
From a Biblical Perspective
This article is inspired by bedtime questions from my six year old son, who has been debating aliens and Star Wars with his classmates. I have given him the basic outline of this article, but I know that some day he will want references. So, I figure I’d better get busy to stay ahead of him as long as I can, because it is pretty clear that he is smarter than me.
This answer assumes a Biblical Christian Worldview. If you don’t have this, you will need to go and get it so that this article will make sense. The foundation for a Biblical worldview is a that God is the Creator of everything that exists anywhere in this universe or any other universe that might exist. John 1: 1-3 says, “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.” So, this leads to the first step in answering my son’s question.
2. God made angels: “For by Him all things were created, both in the heavens and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things have been created by Him and for Him. And He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.” (Colossians 1:16-17) http://www.christiananswers.net/q-acb/acb-t005.html While the Bible does not specifically say when God made the angels, know that God made them. Here is part of an answer to the question of “when” from the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association. “The Bible tells us that the angels were witnesses to the creation of the world, which indicates they were created long before that great event. God asked Job, “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation … and all the angels shouted for joy?” (Job 38:4,7).” http://billygraham.org/answer/when-were-the-angels-created-3/
3. Some of the angels rebelled. The leader of the rebel angels was named Lucifer, now we call him Satan, his followers are called demons: “The Bible classifies some angels as “elect” (1 Timothy 5:21) or “holy” (Matthew 25:31; Mark 8:38). All angels were originally holy, enjoying the presence of God (Matthew 18:10) and the environment of heaven (Mark 13:32).
Other angels oppose God under the leadership of Satan (Matthew 25:41; 2 Peter 2:4; Jude 6; Ephesians 6:12). We often call these “demons.” http://www.christiananswers.net/q-acb/acb-t005.html
4. If aliens exist, what are they? How can we know?:
Here are some options that would fit within a Biblical Christian worldview.
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God; this is the spirit of the antichrist, of which you have heard that it is coming, and now it is already in the world. You are from God, little children, and have overcome them; because greater is He who is in you than he who is in the world. They are from the world; therefore they speak as from the world, and the world listens to them. We are from God; he who knows God listens to us; he who is not from God does not listen to us. By this we know the spirit of truth and the spirit of error.
5. What are Ghosts? Some people think that ghosts are the spirits of dead people but according to the Bible, this is not true. People only die once and then they will face judgment (Hebrews 9:27). When we die, our spirit leaves our body and does not hang around on earth. 2 Corinthians 5:6-10 says, “Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord— for we walk by faith, not by sight— we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord. Therefore we also have as our ambition, whether at home or absent, to be pleasing to Him. For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each one may be recompensed for his deeds in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.” In Cambodia, a lot of people believe in ghosts, “flying greenish lights in the sky or in the trees at night….black shadows or shaking in the trees at night, though there is no wind” (Folk Buddhism in Southeast Asia Page 55).
So, from a Christian perspective if there are no such thing as ghosts, and if these events are not imaginary what are they. The best answer is that they are demons who are pretending to be ghosts. It is ironic that the Cambodians “flying greenish lights” and they think, “it is an evil spirit,” while a secular “sophisticated” westerner would thing, “it is an alien”
6. Why is it important to have a Biblically based understanding of angels, demons, and aliens?
The Intelligent Design movement has been very successful at pointing out the weakness of Darwinian evolution’s molecules to man by chance, mutations, and natural selection. The evidence for fine tuning in the universe as is the evidence of irreducible complexity. Therefore, these secular scientists having more and more difficulty escaping the evidence of an intelligent designer, whether they look through a telescope or a microscope.
While this is good news on one level, does this mean these committed atheists will suddenly become Christians? This isn’t likely. Richard Dawkins said, “Darwinism made it possible to be an intellectually fulfilled atheist.” Now, Richard Dawkins believes that as an alternative to evolution, that intelligent aliens may have created humans after they evolving by Darwinian evolution themselves.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SL7CCyuXAS4 While it is easy dismiss this idea with laughter, the fact that influential people believe this opens the door for demons to appear to them, claim to be aliens, and they will be accepted at face value. While atheists refuse to believe in the existence of God, angels, or demons, despite all of the reports of humans interacting with these beings throughout history, this is only because of their materialistic presuppositions. But, a demon who claims to be an alien, would be welcomed with open arms.
A Christian Apologist, Author, Missionary, Husband, and Father. Darryl has an MA in Christian Apologetics from Biola University (CA), an MA in TESOL from Azusa Pacific University (CA), and a BA in Political Science from Truman State University (MO).
Note: Please share these articles as conversation starters on important topics, even if you disagree with them. Just state why you disagree and go from there. My hope is that they will help English-speaking Christians share their personal faith and beliefs on important topics with their non-Christian loved ones.
For Non-Christians and Christians Outside the USA: Please consider these articles as a gift to you sponsored by others.
For American Christians: If you are blessed, encouraged, or even challenged by these articles, please make a tax deductible donation of any amount via the "Become a Financial Partner" button above, as God leads.
Your finances will be used to continue and expand our apologetics, discipleship, evangelism, and other missionary ministries in Cambodia and globally (without charge to the recipients).
Some missionaries who have been professionally trained as musicians etc. compose, perform, and sell their music in order to help fund their mission work. Decades of research, education, and a lot of money has been invested in me so that I am capable of communicating on these topics on a professional level.
For me, these articles are my songs. Songs are often a "cry of the heart" which cannot be suppressed. I have tried my best to remain silent on these issues in the past. God may lead me to be silent again in the future. At this moment, I cannot be silent.
I have come to the conclusion that when the Bible says, "the workman is worthy of his wages," (1 Timothy 5:18) that this truth does not ONLY apply to pastors. I believe that it ALSO applies to fairly tipping our waiters and waitresses etc., for their services. This is especially important if they depend on this for their income.
If this offends you, then that is only indication that my articles are not valuable to you, therefore no "tip" is requested.