Darryl's thoughts on the Christian Faith, Facts, and World Events
My friend, a pastor in Cambodia from the Philippines, posted the following on Facebook. Rather than answer in a comment, I am answering the objections/questions/misconceptions that the late Rachel Evans raised in a blog post, which I will share with my friend.
When I write Christian I mean genuine, born again (John 3:7), sheep (Matthew 25) Christians. I do not mean cultural Christians etc.
1. Christians can vote Democrat: I personally have voted Democrat, especially in local elections. However, Christians don't usually prefer the Democrat Party because they do not make us feel welcome. The DNC pro-abortion position is a turn-off, and recently, the DNC has not be a strong advocate for religious freedom.
2. Christians can believe in micro-evolution but macro-evolution undermines Scripture: I personally believe that God created males and females of many kinds of animals. For example, from the male and female "dog-kind" we get everything from wolves to poodles. Genesis teaches that humans, animals and plants will reproduce, "after their own kind." Darwin's finches with big and small beaks, are all examples of reproducing after their own kind also known as "micro-evolution." Macro-evolution (aka evolution) means the change from one kind (a rose) into another kind (a cat) or a cat to a spider. I reject macro-evolution.
3. Christians can have same sex attraction: Currently in Cambodia there are support groups for Christians who have unwanted same-sex attraction. Romans 1 and other Scriptures indicate that homosexual activities themselves are prohibited as sins in the same way that adultery, fornication, and lust are prohibited for heterosexuals.
4. Christians should promote religious freedom for all religions: However, tolerance means tolerance, it does not mean agreement, approval, or applause. I support religious freedom for all religions. I also support the religious freedom to evangelize, convert, debate, and leave, one religion for another. As a Christian, I want others to become Christians as well. Everything must be done peacefully and lovingly.
5. Christians should have questions or doubts about the Bible: As an apologist, my entire ministry since 2000 has been to answer my own questions (doubts) and the questions of others about the Bible.
6. Christians can support equal rights and working conditions for women.
7. Christians can drink and smoke, but it isn't always the best thing they could be doing with their money, time, health, and reputation: 1 Corinthians 10:23 "“We are allowed to do all things,” but not all things are good for us to do. “We are allowed to do all things,” but not all things help others grow stronger."
8. Christians can read the New York Times: They should just be Acts 17 Bereans about everything they read, watch, or hear from any secular or religious source.
9. Christians can support equal application of human rights for LGBTQ+ people: They can do this without approving of, agreeing with, or applauding actions which they sincerely believe violate Scripture. Of course LGBTQ+ people also should support religious freedom.
10. Mature, faithful, solid Christians including pastors and missionaries, can experience depression or any other mental/physical illness/disorder/trauma: 2 Corinthians 12:9, "But he said to me, “My grace is enough for you. When you are weak, my power is made perfect in you.” So I am very happy to brag about my weaknesses. Then Christ’s power can live in me."
If you have any additional questions please comment below or e-mail email@example.com.
A Christian Apologist, Author, Missionary, Husband, and Father. Darryl has an MA in Christian Apologetics from Biola University (CA), an MA in TESOL from Azusa Pacific University (CA), and a BA in Political Science from Truman State University (MO).
Note: Please share these articles as conversation starters on important topics, even if you disagree with them. Just state why you disagree and go from there. My hope is that they will help English-speaking Christians share their personal faith and beliefs on important topics with their non-Christian loved ones.
For Non-Christians and Christians Outside the USA: Please consider these articles as a gift to you sponsored by others.
For American Christians: If you are blessed, encouraged, or even challenged by these articles, please make a tax deductible donation of any amount via the "Become a Financial Partner" button above, as God leads.
Your finances will be used to continue and expand our apologetics, discipleship, evangelism, and other missionary ministries in Cambodia and globally (without charge to the recipients).
Some missionaries who have been professionally trained as musicians etc. compose, perform, and sell their music in order to help fund their mission work. Decades of research, education, and a lot of money has been invested in me so that I am capable of communicating on these topics on a professional level.
For me, these articles are my songs. Songs are often a "cry of the heart" which cannot be suppressed. I have tried my best to remain silent on these issues in the past. God may lead me to be silent again in the future. At this moment, I cannot be silent.
I have come to the conclusion that when the Bible says, "the workman is worthy of his wages," (1 Timothy 5:18) that this truth does not ONLY apply to pastors. I believe that it ALSO applies to fairly tipping our waiters and waitresses etc., for their services. This is especially important if they depend on this for their income.
If this offends you, then that is only indication that my articles are not valuable to you, therefore no "tip" is requested.