How do you know that what you say you believe is really true?
William James (1842-1910) The father of modern psychology said, "There's nothing so absurd that if you repeat it often enough, people will believe it." Yahoo Answers
If I started a religion called "Mathism" and I required my followers to repeat "2+2=3 and 3+3=7" over and over every day would it make it true?
I believe that you are sincere and are committed to your beliefs, especially the Shahada
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
lā ʾilāha ʾillā-llāh, muḥammadun rasūlu-llāh
There is no god but God [Allah], Muhammad is the messenger of God. Wikipedia
My question is this. How do you know that this is really true?
In all fairness, I will answer the question about my beliefs as a Christian before I ask you to answer the question.
1. Scientific and mathematical evidence confirm the Bible's teaching that the universe had a beginning and therefore must have had a cause.
2. The fine-tuning of the universe and the complexity of life confirm the Bible's teaching that God the Creator is truly The Intelligent Designer.
3. God created humans with the ability to communicate and reason so it is logical that He tried to communicate with us.
4. The Bible (Old and New Testaments) is the most likely candidate to be God's special revelation to humans because.
- It is unique in its age, popularity, and survival
- It contains thousands of specific prophecies about, people, places, and events that are too numerous, too accurate, and too specific to have come from human guesses or created spirits like angels or demons. Only an eternal Creator God, who is not trapped in time like we are (because He created it) could be the source of these prophecies.
- It contains many scientific facts that were only later discovered by scientists.
- It is archeologically accurate.
- Its 66 books, were written by 40 different writers, over 1,500 years, in 3 different languages, on three different continents, and yet there is only ONE Message.
5. There is solid evidence both inside the Bible and outside that Jesus Christ.
- There are between 60 and 191 prophecies and references to the coming Messiah, made more than 400 years before his birth. Jesus Christ fulfilled all of these prophecies and no one else who has ever lived in history could have fulfilled them.
- Really lived in history as the New Testament teaches.
- Really was crucified under the authority of Pontius Pilate
- Really rose from the dead (The empty tomb, the appearances, and the transformation of the disciples, skeptics, and enemies).
How do you know that what you believe is true?
If I made a new religion called "Mathism" and I required my followers to chant "2+2=3 and 3+3=7" over and over, would it make it true? If I put a gun to someone's head or a knife to their throat, how many people would say, "2+2=3 and 3+3=7" but it still wouldn't make it true.
How can you be sure that the Quran is completely true? It was only written by one man, who had an encounter with one angel. Isn't it more likely for one person to be wrong than 40?
What about the prophecies and scientific facts?
Because of your beliefs, you are causing a lot of pain to a lot of people. A lot of people want to kill you or put you in prison for your beliefs. Therefore, you must have even stronger evidence to support your beliefs and actions that I do. If I am wrong about Christianity, I will have lived a good life and I will have helped a lot of people but you have to ask yourself, "What if I am wrong?"
Jesus loves you, and because of His grace, I love you too. It is only because of Christ's love, that I pray that you and many others like you will turn from radical Islam and will come to have a personal relationship with my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ.
In Christ's Love,